How to Gain Instagram Followers & Turn Them Into Clients
Instagram for business is very different from instagram for personal use. And Instagram can be a lean, mean, advertising machine for your business… if you know how to use it properly. You can turn followers, or potential clients, into actual clients, with a carefully crafted strategy. Being intentional with a strategy based on your business goals is the best way to take full advantage of Instagram and truly make it work for you. And once you’ve figured it out, the sky’s the limit!
Whether you’re just starting out and looking to grow, or if you’ve already established a large community of followers that you’d like to convert into clients, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading for all you need to know on how to gain Instagram followers and turn them into paying clients.
Tips for Instagram Growth
We’re going to keep this part as straightforward as possible. The best strategy for boosting your following is two-fold. You need to create organic Instagram growth AND put out content that converts your audience into clients.
There are NO shortcuts here. Just actionable steps to follow. Do these things, and your following will grow.
So here I’ve outlined the most important tips to grow your IG account. Add these to your content strategy, and you’ll be well on your way to growing your following. Don’t expect a huge growth right away- the three month mark is when you’ll start to see a significant increase. And as long as you’re consistent, you’ll just continue to grow from there.
Instagram growth for business owners is all about building a strong community so your followers feel connected. Here are the actionable steps you can take to grow your Instagram following:
- Optimize your IG account. Make sure you have an appropriate profile image of yourself or brand logo. Include a bio with a flashing neon sign showing your location and a little blurb about what makes you unique. Have a CTA directing followers to your website, and don’t forget to enable contact options!
- Showcase your Instagram everywhere. Visibility is what leads your followers down the yellow brick road to you. Add social media buttons to your website and blog, and share your IG account whenever you possibly can.
- Use appropriate hashtags. One of the most tried-and-true ways to get followers on Instagram is through hashtags. For years hashtags have served as an essential tool for discovery and allowed us to extend our social reach. As a marketer, you want to build your community by gaining followers and hashtags provide just that. Utilize local hashtags to bring in a following in your area.
ProTip: Hashtags that have over 1 million posts are much too competitive for most people. Your content will get drowned out almost immediately and your reach will be severely limited.
- Know your ideal customers. Go deep on researching your ideal client- their likes, dislikes, where they get their brows done… all the things! Follow them. And, follow your competitors' followers. Following the right people will help others find you. Thankfully the IG algorithm figures that part out for us, because it’s a little mind boggling.
- Create a content strategy that resonates with their wants and needs, but also aligns to your business services.
- Understand that it works BOTH WAYS. Don’t be that person having a one-sided conversation. Think of Instagram as a two way street your publish content and you engage in other’s content. It’s that simple.
- Only share content that connects with your business. Your brand personality is one of the best ways to encourage followers to feel the need to stay connected.
- Be up to date on your IG feed, and share content consistently. Daily contact is a must, even if it’s not in the form of posting- it can be sharing stories, going live, doing Reels, or commenting on others’ posts. I suggest feed posts at least three times a week on the same days, then filling in with other interactions on days when you’re not posting.
- Always geotag your location in posts. Adding a geotag to your post allows that tagged post to live in the tagged location. When other Instagram users search for the same geotag or click on it in another photo, your post will possibly be found.
What Kind of Content to Post
Again, actionable steps are what’s going to get the job done. And my goal here is to help you do just that. So what exactly should you post in order to show your target audience that you’re a talented designer with plenty to offer?
Here are a few things to consider when coming up with a content calendar:
- Before you even start posting, you need an imagery with at least 90+ photos and videos.
- Beautiful, professional images are a must for designers. Go ahead, show off your skills! Before and after posts are particularly great for catching potential clients eye.
- Make sure the photos you’re posting reflects your brand and design style. This is your way to communicate to your followers your own personal aesthetic/style
- Welcome new followers with a direct message- explain to them your business and ask them about their homes. Remember, engagement is key!
- Client testimonials connect past clients to future clients, and show how great you really are.
Turning Followers into Clients
Again, action is the name of the game here. There’s no magical button to click that will make followers appear, unless you want to buy followers and that’s not fruitful for the long term and a colossal waste of your hard earned money.
Initiate a Conversation
Make the most of each moment you spend on IG by creating connections. Create a message to thank new accounts for following you- no sales pitch, nothing cheesy, just an authentic and genuine thank you.
When you take a minute of your time, even if it’s through an automated message, the act of initiating a conversation with a follower will make an actual experience out of visiting your page. It’s the first step in building an authentic connection. And, if you craft your automated message just right, it won’t feel so stock responsish.
If you feel like a new follower is ready to engage, you can start a conversation, but again, avoid anything salesly. Ask what their dream home looks like and share some of your project photos. Authentic conversation around design is what you’re going for here, so it should feel natural.
Be Present in the Community
It’s also incredibly important to have a presence beyond your own feed. Immerse yourself into the local social media scene. Comment on local restaurants photos, promote local boutiques on your page, and really celebrate the world you live in.
Just seeing your name out there will keep it fresh in potential clients minds- you can’t follow them around whispering “hire me” in their ears, but doing it in a more tactful, less creepy way on IG can have the same effect.
You’ve got all the tools you need to start organically growing your Instagram following so you can turn your ideal client into real life, paying ones! Everything I’ve listed above is an actionable step that I’ve implemented in my very own content strategy to build my following from the ground up. And, I’m still growing.
If you like the idea of having me around to help show you the way, beyond Instagram… do I have a treat for you!
You can join me in The Interior Design Business Bakery, where I’ll personally show you:
- How to attract high quality clients who see the value in paying a premium to work with you (and respect your boundaries).
- Charge premium design fees, not including the profits you should be pocketing from selling furniture, procurement, and installation.
- And run streamlined projects while catering to your client’s needs and keeps you fully in charge (while you manage a million details!)
Just click here to visit my website and learn more.